Historic Properties

Tri-State Bank

Status: Preserved Address: 386 Beale Street (formerly 390 Beale Street), Memphis Built: Early 1900s Architectural Style: Vernacular business Original Function/Purpose: Bank History: The Tri-State Bank building was constructed in the early 1900s in the Beale Street business district. Robert R. Church Sr.’s notable Solvent Savings Bank and Trust Co. was established in 1906 in an adjoining building (392 Beale) on the ...

Read More »

Tri State Iron Works

Status: Preserved Address: 61 Keel Avenue, Memphis Built: 1883 Architectural Style: Late Nineteenth-Century Commercial block design Original Function/Purpose: Manufacturing History: This building was used commercially from 1883 to 1946, housing five separate companies during this period. The building first began operation as a cotton seed oil press for the Globe Oil and Fertilizer Company and was later occupied by the Memphis ...

Read More »

John S. Toof House

Status: Preserved Address: 246 Adams Avenue, Memphis Built: 1875 Architectural Style: Victorian Italianate Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: This house was designed by Mathias Harvey Baldwin and completed in 1876. John Toof was a prominent figure in Memphis who is noted for starting the Chamber of Commerce and later helping to found the Memphis Water Company. The Toof house was designed in ...

Read More »

Toof Building

Status: Preserved Address: 195 Madison Avenue, Memphis Built: 1912, 1926, 1929, 1947 Architectural Style: Egyptian Revival / Terra Cotta Original Function/Purpose: Manufacturing History: The Toof Building was built in 1912. The original building was four stories in height and had a full basement. A fifth floor was added in 1926. The mezzanine or intermediate floor was added in 1929 and further ...

Read More »

John W. Thomas House

Status: Preserved Address: 245 West Poplar Avenue, Collierville Built: 1918-1920 Architectural Style: Colonial Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The John W. Thomas House was built from 1918 to 1920 for John and Lena Thomas, and is a significant element of the historic architectural fabric of the Town of Collierville. Mr. Thomas worked mostly in retail, first as a travelling salesman, then ...

Read More »

Tennessee Trust Building (The Madison Hotel)

Status: Preserved Address: 81 Madison Avenue, Memphis Built: 1906 Architectural Style: Beaux Arts Original Function/Purpose: Bank History: This 15-story building was built in 1906 for the Tennessee Trust Bank to a design by the architectural firm of George M. Shaw and Charles O. Pfeil. It was the first building on Banker’s Row to exceed the traditional four-story height for banks in ...

Read More »

Tennessee Club-Overall Goodbar Building

Status: Preserved Address: 128-130 Court Avenue, Memphis Built: 1890 Architectural Style: Victorian Romanesque and Moorish Original Function/Purpose: Entertainment History: This property was designed by architect Edward Terrell in an unusual combination of Victorian Romanesque and Moorish styles. It was chartered primarily by former Confederate officers who wanted to restore social graces to the city after years of Union occupation. Originally organized ...

Read More »

Tennessee Brewery

Status: Preserved Address: 495 Tennessee Street (formerly 477 Tennessee Street), Memphis Built: 1890 Architectural Style: Industrial Original Function/Purpose: Manufacturing History: Built in 1890, the Tennessee Brewery was initially organized as the “Memphis Brewing Company.” At one point the largest brewery in the South, the company had around 1,500 workers and produced 250,000 barrels per year before Prohibition shut down production. After ...

Read More »

Sun Record Company, Memphis Recording Service

Status: Preserved Address: 706 Union Avenue, Memphis Built: 1908 Architectural Style: Local vernacular (brick row building) Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: The building at 706 Union Avenue originally housed the Magic Throttle Company, an automobile-related business in a neighborhood that historically contained a number of auto-related businesses. In 1949 the interior was renovated and in January 1950 Sam Phillips opened the Memphis ...

Read More »

Leslie M. Stratton YMCA

Status: Preserved Address: 245 Madison Avenue, Memphis Built: 1909 Architectural Style: Beaux Arts Original Function/Purpose: Hotel History: Designed by John Gaisford (architect of Lenox School and the Falls Building), the Leslie M. Stratton YMCA was dedicated on October 17, 1909, with President William Howard Taft and governors of twenty-seven states in attendance, including Tennessee’s Malcolm Peterson. When President Taft and ...

Read More »