Status: Preserved Address: 120 N. East Yates Road, Memphis Built: 1970, with modest exterior additions in the 1980s Architectural Style: Modern Movement Original Function/Purpose: Religious institution The Anshei Sphard-Beth El Emeth Synagogue was placed on the National Register on July 24, 2020. History: The synagogue was designed by Francis Mah and Keith Kays.
Status: Preserved Address: 2701 Union Avenue Extended, Memphis Built: 1963 Architectural Style: Local example of Late International Style Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: Alvin Wunderlich, Sr. founded the National Burial Insurance Company in 1931 with his brother and two others. By 1962 the company had transitioned into “a highly successful regional
Status: Preserved Address: Lions Gate Drive, Memphis Built: 1961-1963 Architectural Style: Above-ground concrete shields, below-ground reinforced concrete fallout shelter. Original Function/Purpose: Nuclear fallout shelter History: The Wooten Fallout Shelter is about 5,600 square feet in size and was to accommodate up to 65 people for one month – Hoyt Wooten’s
Status: Preserved Address: 189 South Barksdale Street, Memphis Built: 1910 and 1912, with many interior reconfigurations and renovations down the years Architectural Style: Classical Revival Original Function/Purpose: Police station History: The station was built by Mayor E.H. Crump in 1910 for a mounted police force in Memphis’s eastern suburbs, as communities such as Idlewild,
Status: Preserved Address: 9043 Barret Road, Barretville Built: 1932; renovated 1958-59 Architectural Style: Commercial Modern Movement Original Function/Purpose: Bank History: The Barret family settled in northern Shelby County in 1852 and opened a general store four years later. The Barretville Bank was founded in 1920 by Paul W. Barret Sr.
Status: Renovation is planned Address: 360 Metal Museum Drive (formerly 360 and 374 West California Avenue), Memphis Built: 1883-1884 (Nurses Quarters) and 1934-1939 (Hospital Building and Steam Laundry) Architectural Style: Modernist Style Original Function/Purpose: Governmental History: Each of four surviving buildings once part of Memphis’ evolving U.S. Marine Hospital complex
Status: Demolished; delisted Nov. 9, 2007 Address: 190 Chelsea Avenue, Memphis Built: ca. 1908; additions in 1921, 1930 and 1961 Architectural Style: Beaux Arts History: The building was designed by B.C. Alsup (photo above taken 1910-11). It was known as Leroy Pope Elementary (at 190 Chelsea Avenue, for white students)
Status: Demolished in 1997; delisted Nov. 9, 2007 Address: 272 North Bellevue Boulevard, Memphis Built: 1908 Architectural Style: Beaux Arts History: Maury Elementary School, built in 1908, was considered an architectural twin of Bruce School, both designed in the Beaux Arts style by architect B.C. Alsup (photo above taken 1913-14).
Status: Demolished in 1983; delisted Nov. 9, 2007 Address: 995 South Lauderdale Street, Memphis Built: 1902; additions in 1908, 1920-21, 1925 and 1957 Architectural Style: Early Twentieth-century Eclectic (Beaux Arts and Colonial Revival, etc.) History: “Along with [other] public schools [built] in Memphis between 1902 and 1915, the building reflects
Status: Demolished in 2000; delisted Nov. 9, 2007 Address: 1372 Latham Street, Memphis Built: 1909; additions in 1922-23, 1930, 1963 and 1970 Architectural Style: Jacobean Revival History: The school, designed by Jones and Furbringer, was an excellent local example of the Jacobean Revival style (photo above taken 1910-11). In October