Address: 61 Keel Avenue, Memphis
Architectural Style: Late Nineteenth-Century Commercial block design
Original Function/Purpose: Manufacturing
History: This building was used commercially from 1883 to 1946, housing five separate companies during this period. The building first began operation as a cotton seed oil press for the Globe Oil and Fertilizer Company and was later occupied by the Memphis Ginning and Cotton Huller Company. It finally was purchased for a manufacturing facility by the Tri State Iron Works, for iron working and other sectors of the iron industry. The property was later converted to other uses. Both this building and the adjacent 55-acre American Snuff Company Historic District (Snuff District) are now included in a multi-use development undertaken by Wolf River Harbor Holdings LLC, organized by several local developers including Billy Orgel. In September 2020, Wolf River Harbor Holdings LLC filed a $3.2 million permit to restore the building’s masonry and wood frame, and make other improvements that will create a venue for wedding receptions, bar mitzvahs, corporate meetings and other events.
City Council District: 7
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8