Historic Properties

Patrick Hayley House

Status: Demolished; delisted July 21, 1980 Address: 604 Vance Avenue, Memphis Built: ca. 1876 Architectural Style: Victorian Italianate History: The Hayley House in a then-upscale neighborhood was two-story brick Italianate with an L-shaped veranda and many ornamental details. Patrick Henry Hayley, a merchant, built the house in ca. 1876 but died in 1885 at the age of 50. His son ...

Read More »

Gartly-Ramsay Hospital

Status: Demolished; delisted Nov. 9, 2007 Address: 696 Jackson Avenue, Memphis Built: 1859, 1910, 1927 Architectural Style: Greek Revival with later modifications History: This was built as a residence for the Edgar McDavitt family in 1859. After additions and renovations by two Canadian physicians, George Bradley Gartly and Robert F. Ramsey, the building was converted into a 50-bed private hospital ...

Read More »

First Methodist Church

Status: Destroyed by fire; delisted Nov. 9, 2007 Address: 204 North Second Street, Memphis Built: 1893, 1924, 1955 Architectural Style: High Victorian Gothic Revival History: The church was organized in 1826. Beginning in 1832, over a period of sixty years a succession of buildings in the same location housed its congregation until the completion in 1893 of a large granite ...

Read More »

Robert S. Bowles Houses

Status: Demolished; delisted July 22, 1980 Address: 544-548 Vance Avenue, Memphis Built: 1876 Architectural Style: Victorian Italianate History: An early description of the Bowles Houses reads: “The three-unit brick row house on Vance Avenue was built in 1876 for Robert S. Bowles, a successful cotton broker. It sits on a raised foundation of brick which has been stuccoed and scored ...

Read More »

Zion Cemetery

Status: Preserved; renovation in progress Location: Along the 1400 block of South Parkway East, Memphis Built: 1873 Architectural Style: Cemetery Original Function/Purpose: Cemetery History: After the Civil War, black Americans organized a burial association called the United Sons and Daughters of Zion. They purchased 16 acres outside city limits for use as a cemetery. This cemetery was active primarily between 1876 ...

Read More »

Wildwood Farms (The Taylor Farm)

Status: Preserved Address: 2737 South Germantown Road, Germantown Built: 1935, ca. 1950 etc. Architectural Style: Colonial Revival-style horse stable and associated supporting buildings and housing Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: Wildwood Farms is a 350-acre estate bounded by Germantown Road on the east, Crestridge Road on the south, McVay Road and McVay Trail Drive on the west, and Stout Road on the ...

Read More »

Wells School

Status: Preserved Address: 4140 Tennessee 205 (Airline Road; formerly 4140 Collierville-Arlington Rd.), Eads Built: 1924-1925 Architectural Style: Rosenwald School Plan Original Function/Purpose: Education History: Wells School was built between 1924 and 1925 with the help of the Julius Rosenwald Fund (JRF) and served as an African-American school until desegregation occurred in 1966. In 1915 Julius Rosenwald, a Sears, Roebuck and Co. ...

Read More »

Universal Life Insurance Company

Status: Preserved Address: 480 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue (formerly part of Linden Avenue) at Danny Thomas Boulevard, Memphis Built: 1949 Architectural Style: Egyptian Revival Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: Dr. Joseph E. Walker founded the Universal Life Insurance Company on Beale Street in 1923, a firm dedicated to “improving the economic condition of people of color.” Dr. Walker and his ...

Read More »

U.S. Post Office-Front Street Station (Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law)

Status: Preserved Address: 1 North Front Street, Memphis Built: ca. 1876, 1903 Architectural Style: Italianate Revival Original Function/Purpose: Governmental History: This property has served as a U.S. Customs House, Court House and Post Office. The original facility was built in the early 1880s, and officially opened in 1885. Covering 140,000 square feet on four floors, the Italianate Revival-style building was considered ...

Read More »

U.S. Marine Hospital Executive Building and Laundry-Kitchen (listed in 1980)

Status: Executive Building, preserved; Laundry-Kitchen, renovation is planned. Address: 374 Metal Museum Drive (formerly 360 and 374 West California Avenue), Memphis Built: 1883-1884 Architectural Style: Vernacular Italianate Original Function/Purpose: Governmental History: Each of four surviving buildings once part of Memphis’ evolving U.S. Marine Hospital complex in the South Bluffs area has its own history, and each has been listed in its ...

Read More »