Status: Preserved Address: 90 West Poplar Avenue, Collierville Built: 1911-1912 Architectural Style: Colonial Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Jack Dudney House is a one-story, five-bay frame variation of the late-Victorian Cottage plan and form with elements of the Colonial Revival style, built ca. 1911-1912 for John Frank (Jack) Dudney, Jr.
Status: Preserved Address: 525 North Main Street, Memphis Built: 1937 Architectural Style: Moderne-style façade Original Function/Purpose: Transportation History: Business magnate Frederick Smith Sr., father of Federal Express founder Fred Smith, established a Memphis-based national office for the Dixie Greyhound and Toddle House corporate offices. The Dixie Greyhound Bus Lines Complex was
Status: Preserved Address: 46 North Third Street, Memphis Built: 1925 Architectural Style: Renaissance Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: Built in 1925, the Dermon Building was designed by prominent Memphis architects Charles O. Pfeil and George Awsumb for the Dave Dermon Company and Dave Dermon Insurance. The ten-story dark brown brick building with
Status: Preserved Location: Delmar Avenue and Lema Place, Memphis Built: 1895-1915 Architectural Style: Shotguns, double shotguns and L-plan double shotguns History: During a population boom in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the houses built in the Delmar-Lema Historic District embodied the urbanization of cities in the post-antebellum South.
Status: Preserved Address: 1291 Winchester Road, Collierville Built: ca. 1841, ca. 1867 Architectural Style: Vernacular Greek Revival-influenced I-House with sheds Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Charles Davis House or Porter House dates from about 1841, with additions in ca. 1867, 1959 and 1986. The land was sold by a Chickasaw woman
Status: Preserved Address: 9336 Davies Plantation Road, Bartlett Built: 1821 Architectural Style: Pre-Railroad folk house, a form of American vernacular Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Davies Manor is considered to be the oldest house in Shelby County. Named for Zachariah Davies, a soldier in the Revolutionary War, it was rumored that the
Status: Preserved Address: 1433 Union Avenue, Memphis Built: 1909 Architectural Style: Colonial Revival, Beaux Arts Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Built by lumberman Rowland J. Darnell, the house later served as headquarters for the Nineteenth Century Club, a highly successful and philanthropic women’s organization that was responsible for many civic reforms in
Status: Preserved Address: 1962 Peabody Avenue, Memphis Built: 1908 Architectural Style: Greek Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The E.H. Crump House was designed by George Mahan Jr. and built in 1908 for “Boss” Crump, the powerful single-term mayor who is said to have picked every mayor succeeding him until his death
Status: Preserved Address: 1950 West Poplar Avenue, Collierville Built: 1913 Architectural Style: Hexagonal wood frame Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Crisscross Lodge was designed and built in 1913 for Laura Davis Elliott by the Memphis architectural firm of Hanker and Cairns, and has remained relatively unchanged since. The house is a wood-frame,
Status: Preserved Location: Roughly bounded by Riverside Drive and North Second Street, and Madison and Jefferson Avenues, in Memphis Built: 1819; 1860-1928 Architectural Style: Eclectic use of Romanesque, Byzantine and Renaissance elements with Commercial vernacular Original Function/Purpose: Commercial History: Laid out in 1819 as part of the original city plan,