Location: Alicia and Patricia Drives, Ashlawn Road and Cove, and adjacent portions of Union, Monroe and Madison Avenues, in Memphis
Architectural Style: Various: Cape Cottage, Minimal Traditional, Colonial Revival
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: This historic district is made up of two subdivisions, Green Meadows and Poplar Glen, bounded roughly north and south by Poplar and Union Avenues and east and west by Hollywood and East Parkway South. One quirk is that Hollywood between Union and Poplar is named Alicia Drive after the mother of one-time owner of this portion of Memphis, attorney and frequent thorn-in-the-side of “Boss” Crump, “Tom” (for Thomas Barksdale) Collier. The plan for Green Meadows by developer William C. Chandler was approved in 1941 but only a few houses (on Union Avenue) were built before World War II ended the supply of home-building materials. Construction picked up after the war, when the Chandlers (Union, Madison, Monroe, Patricia and South Ashlawn) were joined by Poplar Glen developer John Goodwin (Alicia, and North Ashlawn and the Cove). About 80 houses (of the total 138) were constructed in the peak building years of 1947-48. The district is a well-preserved collection of popular mid-twentieth century architectural styles including Cape Cottage form, the post-war Minimal Traditional and Colonial Revival, as well as the emerging Modernist Ranch style.
City Council District: 5
Super District: 9
County Commission District: 10