Status: Preserved Location: Bounded on the west by North Watkins Street, on the north by North Parkway between Watkins and North McLean Boulevard, on the east by McLean and Kenilworth Place, and on the south by Poplar Avenue between Kenilworth and Watkins; and including an adjacent area south of Poplar
Status: Preserved Address: 824 South Dudley Street, Memphis Built: ca. 1880, ca. 1900 Architectural Style: Victorian Carpenter Gothic Original Function/Purpose: Cemetery History: Occupying Phillips Cottage, the only example of Victorian Carpenter Gothic architecture in Memphis, the Elmwood Cemetery Visitor Center and office has come to symbolize the essence of Elmwood to
Status: Preserved Address: 824 South Dudley Street, Memphis Built: 1852-1951 Architectural Style: Cemetery Original Function/Purpose: Cemetery History: Elmwood Cemetery is the oldest active cemetery in Memphis and one of the first rural garden cemeteries in the South. It was established in 1852 with the financial assistance of 50 men who
Status: Preserved; renovation is planned Address: 241-245 South Front Street, Memphis Built: 1879-1925 Architectural Style: Industrial vernacular (example of Foundry Complex) Original Function/Purpose: Manufacturing History: The William C. Ellis and Sons Ironworks and Machine Shop was one of the earliest, longest-running businesses in Memphis. The lot on which the foundry was
Status: Preserved Address: 1428 Fox Street, Memphis Built: ca. 1854 Architectural Style: Mid-1800s log construction Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Elam Homestead is a significant example of log construction techniques in the mid-1800s, as the last surviving nineteenth-century log building in Memphis. The land on which the house was built was
Status: Preserved Location: Bounded roughly by Central and Southern Avenues and Greer and Ellsworth Streets, in Memphis Built: ca. 1925-1945 Architectural Style: Craftsman, Colonial and Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The automobile encouraged the establishment of the Memphis Country Club at Goodwyn Street and Southern
Status: Preserved Address: 90 West Poplar Avenue, Collierville Built: 1911-1912 Architectural Style: Colonial Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Jack Dudney House is a one-story, five-bay frame variation of the late-Victorian Cottage plan and form with elements of the Colonial Revival style, built ca. 1911-1912 for John Frank (Jack) Dudney, Jr.
Status: Preserved Address: 525 North Main Street, Memphis Built: 1937 Architectural Style: Moderne-style façade Original Function/Purpose: Transportation History: Business magnate Frederick Smith Sr., father of Federal Express founder Fred Smith, established a Memphis-based national office for the Dixie Greyhound and Toddle House corporate offices. The Dixie Greyhound Bus Lines Complex was
Status: Preserved Address: 46 North Third Street, Memphis Built: 1925 Architectural Style: Renaissance Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: Built in 1925, the Dermon Building was designed by prominent Memphis architects Charles O. Pfeil and George Awsumb for the Dave Dermon Company and Dave Dermon Insurance. The ten-story dark brown brick building with
Status: Preserved Location: Delmar Avenue and Lema Place, Memphis Built: 1895-1915 Architectural Style: Shotguns, double shotguns and L-plan double shotguns History: During a population boom in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the houses built in the Delmar-Lema Historic District embodied the urbanization of cities in the post-antebellum South.