Author Archives: MHI2016

First Presbyterian Church

Status: Preserved Address: 166 Poplar Avenue, Memphis Built: 1884, 1928, 1955 Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival with elements of the Aesthetic Movement Original Function/Purpose: Church History: First Presbyterian Church was built in 1883-84 to a design by Edward Culliatt Jones, a design that refers to a church in England designed by A.W.N. Pugin. The tower was partly dismantled in 1928 when the ...

Read More »

First Congregational Church and Parish House

Status: Preserved Address: 234 South Watkins Street, Memphis Built: 1910 Architectural Style: Georgian Revival Original Function/Purpose: Church History: Founded by 25 anti-slavery members, the congregation was originally known as Union Congregational Church. During the Yellow Fever Epidemic of the late nineteenth century, the church served as a boys’ school under the stewardship of Professor Lyon Gardiner Tyler, son of the tenth ...

Read More »

First Baptist Church, Lauderdale (First Colored Baptist Church)

Status: Endangered Address: 682 South Lauderdale Street, Memphis Built: 1939 Architectural Style: Colonial Revival Original Function/Purpose: Church History: First Baptist Church, Lauderdale was a bastion of African-American culture and community after its construction in 1939. It is of particular importance because it was the parish and residence of Rev. Thomas Oscar Fuller, a key figure in early efforts of the civil ...

Read More »

First Baptist Church, Linden Avenue (Mount Olive Cathedral C.M.E. Church)

Status: Preserved Address: 538 Linden Avenue, Memphis Built: 1906-1907 Architectural Style: Classical Revival Original Function/Purpose: Church History: First Baptist Church was built between 1906-1907 in the Classical Revival style, designed by the well-known architectural firm of R.H. Hunt & Company of Chattanooga, which specialized in the design of churches and public buildings. First Baptist Church is one of only 2 buildings ...

Read More »

First Baptist Church (Beale Street Baptist Church)

Status: Endangered Address: 379 Beale Street, Memphis Built: 1869; cornerstone 1871; completed 1885 Architectural Style: Gothic Influence Original Function/Purpose: Church History: Beale Street Baptist Church was built in 1869 and is notable for being the first Memphis church built for blacks. It is often regarded as “the Mother of black churches” and in 1892 was home to the first black newspaper, ...

Read More »

Fairview Junior High School

Status: Preserved Address: 750 East Parkway South, Memphis Built: 1930 Architectural Style: Art Deco Original Function/Purpose: Education History: Fairview Junior High School is an excellent rare intact example of an institutional building in the Art Deco style. The architects were Edward Lee Harrison and Noland Van Powell, and the school was constructed in six months at the height of the ...

Read More »

Evergreen Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: Bounded on the west by North Watkins Street, on the north by North Parkway between Watkins and North McLean Boulevard, on the east by McLean and Kenilworth Place, and on the south by Poplar Avenue between Kenilworth and Watkins; and including an adjacent area south of Poplar bounded by North Avalon Street on the east, Court Avenue ...

Read More »

Elmwood Cemetery Office and Entrance Bridge

Status: Preserved Address: 824 South Dudley Street, Memphis Built: ca. 1880, ca. 1900 Architectural Style: Victorian Carpenter Gothic Original Function/Purpose: Cemetery History: Occupying Phillips Cottage, the only example of Victorian Carpenter Gothic architecture in Memphis, the Elmwood Cemetery Visitor Center and office has come to symbolize the essence of Elmwood to its families and visitors. A parlor, brick vault, and front ...

Read More »

Elmwood Cemetery

Status: Preserved Address: 824 South Dudley Street, Memphis Built: 1852-1951 Architectural Style: Cemetery Original Function/Purpose: Cemetery History: Elmwood Cemetery is the oldest active cemetery in Memphis and one of the first rural garden cemeteries in the South. It was established with the financial assistance of 50 men who each contributed $500 to purchase the land. Plans for the grounds included ...

Read More »

William C. Ellis and Sons Ironworks and Machine Shop

Status: Preserved; renovation is planned Address: 241-245 South Front Street, Memphis Built: 1879-1925 Architectural Style: Industrial vernacular (example of Foundry Complex) Original Function/Purpose: Manufacturing History: The William C. Ellis and Sons Ironworks and Machine Shop was one of the earliest, longest-running businesses in Memphis. The lot on which the foundry was built was purchased by W.C. Ellis in 1878. The original ...

Read More »