Status: Demolished in 1997 and will eventually be delisted
Location: Bounded by Walker and Provine Avenues, and Porter and Neptune Streets, in Memphis
Built: 1941 and 1943
Architectural Style: Multi-family Colonial Revival and Minimal Traditional
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: This South Memphis public housing project near LeMoyne-Owen College opened the first 60 of its structures in October 1941, followed in 1943 by another 41. In all, this project built for African-Americans contained 842 two-story townhouse-style apartments or units in nine different building types, constructed in reinforced concrete and finished in brick. They were rehabilitated between 1975 and 1977 by the Memphis Housing Authority (MHA). MHA attorney A.C. Wharton announced in August 1996 that the project had been listed on the National Register. One year later, crews began to demolish the buildings, victims of an urban revitalization program. With the help of a Hope VI grant, the project has been replaced by a mixed-income community called College Park.
Outline of the area formerly occupied by LeMoyne Gardens Public Housing Project, but now by the College Park community.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8