Davies Manor

Status: Preserved

Address: 9336 Davies Plantation Road, Bartlett

Built: 1821

Architectural Style: Pre-Railroad folk house, a form of American vernacular

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

Davies Manor was placed on the National Register on Mar. 19, 1975.

History: Davies Manor is considered to be the oldest house in Shelby County. Named for Zachariah Davies, a soldier in the Revolutionary War, it was rumored that the west portion of the house was built ca. 1807 by an Indian chief. The area around the manor was at one time an Indian hunting ground, with a Chickasaw trail crossing through. Davies Plantation was the home of two doctors, Dr. Augustus Davies and Dr. William Little Davies. For a time the house was a veritable hospital when other medical facilities were at least 20 miles away. The house and surrounding plantation now serve as a museum.

 

City Council District: N/A

Super District: N/A

County Commission District: 3

DON NEWMAN