Address: 1433 Union Avenue, Memphis
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival, Beaux Arts
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: Built by lumberman Rowland J. Darnell, the house later served as headquarters for the Nineteenth Century Club, a highly successful and philanthropic women’s organization that was responsible for many civic reforms in the city. The club also served to attract higher education to the area, specifically West Tennessee State Normal School, now the University of Memphis. The house is the sole remaining representative of the mansions that once lined Union Avenue. It was extensively renovated by new owners in 2015-2016 with the help of a historic rehabilitation tax credit, prior to their opening the Izakaya Restaurant in 2017. This later closed and was replaced by Red Fish Sushi Asian Bistro, which itself closed in early 2020.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8