Address: 66 Monroe Avenue, Memphis
Built: Completed 1923
Architectural Style: Early Twentieth Century Modern
Original Function/Purpose: Commerce
History: This property was designed by Hanker and Cairns, with Jones & Furbringer, to serve as a Shrine Temple as well as a commercial building. It would have stores on the first level and rental office space on upper floors, with Shrine use beginning on the ninth floor. This property also housed a rooftop restaurant, billiard room, two-story auditorium, and an elegant swimming pool in the basement. In the late ‘70s the building was converted to apartments.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8