Maxwelton

Status: Preserved

Address: 3105 Southern Avenue, Memphis

Built: ca.1860-1874

Architectural Style: Late Victorian, Piano Box style

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

Maxwelton was placed on the National Register on Mar. 10, 1980.

History: The Maxwelton house was built around 1860 of native poplar and cypress woods. It belonged to the Sneed-Ewell family for four generations after being purchased by Judge John Louis Taylor Sneed in 1874. It is one of the few remaining remnants of the town of Buntyn’s Station, on the Memphis and Charleston Railroad. The home was named by Sneed after the estate in Scotland chronicled through story and song, and is one of only two single-lot sites that the City of Memphis has designated as a local historic district or Historic Overlay District; the other is Collins Chapel.

 

City Council District: 4

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 10

DON NEWMAN