Address: 3712 Broadway Road, Bartlett
Built: ca. 1840, 1940
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: The John H. McFadden House is an excellent example of a Colonial Revival residence. Built by Dr. Samuel Bond on land awarded to his father for service under Andrew Jackson in the Creek Indian war in 1840, it was originally dubbed “the Avenue.” The house was briefly occupied by Union forces and served as a their regional headquarters in the Civil War. Edmund Orgill, an English hardware merchant, purchased the house in 1870, and after he died it was briefly used as a Masonic Lodge. In 1939 John H. McFadden, a senior partner at the oldest and second largest cotton brokering firm in the nation, purchased the property and began remodeling it. It was during this remodel, under architect Estes Mann, that the house developed its Colonial Revival style. In 1971 the property was purchased and renamed Cedar Hall, the name still used today for this bed and breakfast and wedding venue.
City Council District: N/A
Super District: N/A
County Commission District: 3