Greenlaw Addition Historic District

Status: Endangered

Location: Roughly bounded by Chelsea and A.W. Willis (formerly Auction) Avenues, and Fourth and Seventh Streets, with a small extension westward taking in properties on Second and Third Streets, in Memphis

Built: Primarily 1885-1915, but some pre-Civil War

Architectural Style: Various

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

The Greenlaw Addition Historic District was placed on the National Register on Aug. 16, 1984.

History: Containing thirty blocks, this antebellum suburb was laid out in 1856 by brothers John and William Greenlaw. Some of the original homeowners built large houses (few of which remain today), but many were modest cottages. From the mid-nineteenth to the early twentieth century, the district was economically, racially and ethnically mixed.

 

Map:

Outline of the Greenlaw Addition Historic District.

Map of the district used in its National Register nomination.

 

City Council District: 7

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8

DON NEWMAN