Youth and Architecture 2014 Design Competition
Sponsored by the Art Center, Memphis Heritage, Inc and AIA Memphis
11th Annual Youth and Architecture Design Competition is planned for May 2014 ………in honor of National Preservation Month!
Deadline for Entries: Friday, April 11, 2014, 4 pm
Opening Reception: Tuesday, May 6 held at Memphis Heritage, Howard Hall, 2282 Madison at Edgewood
Art Work Exhibit: May 2014 Memphis Heritage at Howard Hall
Memphis Heritage, Inc. is proud to announce the 11th Architecture and Our Youth Design Competition for 4th – 12th grade level youth in Shelby County. Participants are asked to explore historic buildings and spaces around them through an art medium of their choice. In addition, an essay is submitted describing how the individual responds to the art emotionally and/or physically. Winners in each division receive prizes during the opening reception and will have their artwork on exhibit along with their written responses during May 2014. The goal of this exhibit is to communicate through images and words how our youth respond to the built environment.
- A drawing of a Historic building / or part of an existing historic building in Shelby County. Can be interior or exterior.
- ONLY paper size 8”x10” or 11’x14” unmatted
- A separate hand written or typed statement identifying this building or space, why it was selected by the participant, and description of their response to it – Maximum of 100 words
- Medium of choice (pencil, ink, paint, crayon, etc)
- Judging will take into account the written statement along with the art work.
Sponsors will award 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes to the division winners: Elementary, Middle School and High School. (Categories subject to change
based on number of entries.)
Display of Winners:
Winners in each division will be on display at Memphis Heritage, Inc. at Howard Hall, 2282 Madison during the month of May 2014. All participants will receive invitations to the opening reception, Tuesday, May 6th.
Call to schedule a drop off 901-272-2727, or mail the following to:
Memphis Heritage, Inc., 2282 Madison Avenue, (NE corner of Madison and Edgewood) Memphis, TN 38104
Deadline: Friday, April 11, 2014 by 4 pm
- Art work
- Written statement
- Envelope attached to back of work containing 2 copies of the Entry Form and the separate Written Statement
Return of Work:
You may schedule a pick-up of the work by calling (901) 272-2727 anytime in June
Questions please contact:
Carrie Stetler Memphis Heritage, at (901) 272-2727 or
This project generously supported by: Art Center | 1636 Union Avenue |
and: The AIA Memphis – American Institute of Architects
and: Memphis Heritage