Address: 12 South Main Street, Memphis
Built: 1904, 1914
Architectural Style: Neoclassical
Original Function/Purpose: Bank
History: The southern half of this structure was built by the Bank of Commerce and Trust in 1904; an unusual aspect was early use of steel framing for a fifteen-story building. It was originally known as the Memphis Trust Building. Ten years later in another unusual move, the north half of the present building was seamlessly added. Title was transferred to the Commerce Title Guaranty Co. in 1934, and later to other owners; the building is now most familiar as the Commerce Title Building.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8