Location: Portions of North Parkway and Faxon, Forrest, Galloway, and Greenlaw Avenues, between Leath Street and Waldran Boulevard, in Memphis
Built: ca. 1900 – ca. 1950
Architectural Style: Bungalow / Craftsman, Colonial Revival, Spanish Colonial Revival, American Foursquare, etc.
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: The Galloway-Speedway neighborhood, centered around North Parkway, developed in the early twentieth century as Memphis experienced substantial growth. Its development was initiated by the Speedway Land Company, some of whose partners were Robert Brinkley Snowden, William J. Brinkley and Finley W. Faxon; some of the land involved had belonged to the Galloway family. The neighborhood appealed to the growing middle class and developed quickly; the majority of dwellings were constructed between 1910 and 1920. It remains largely residential, but also contains two churches, a fire station (now a senior citizens center), and some MLGW pumping stations. It is now a predominantly middle-class African-American neighborhood, with an interest in preserving its historic character.
City Council District: 7
Super District: 8
County Commission Districts: 8 and 7 (Predominantly in District 8, but some in 7.)