Location: Metal Museum Drive, Memphis
Built: ca. 1500
Architectural Style: Park
Original Function/Purpose: Park
History: Formerly the fortress of Chickasaw chief Chisca, the park features two ceremonial mounds that were built by Paleo-Indians. During the Civil War these same mounds were hollowed out and used for gun emplacements and munitions storage. The area is also believed to be where Spanish explorer Hernando DeSoto first viewed the Mississippi River in 1541. Early in the 1900s this park was called Jackson Mound or Jackson Mound Park, but it was renamed by the Memphis Park Commission in 1913 as DeSoto (later De Soto) Park.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8