Address: The 100 blocks of Adams and Washington Avenues, Memphis
Architectural Style: Neo-Classical Revival, Late Gothic Revival
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: Adams Avenue Historic District contains fine examples of Gothic and Neo-Classical Revival architectural styles. These six structures are the North Memphis Savings Bank (built 1901), Engine House Number 1 (1910), Central Police Station (1911), Criminal Courts Building (1925), Shelby County Courthouse (1909, above left), and St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church (1852, above right). St. Peter’s is important as the first Catholic Church organized in Memphis. The North Memphis Savings Bank holds a special place in Memphis history as it served as the offices of former Mayor E.H. “Boss” Crump, who strictly controlled the political world of Memphis in the first half of the twentieth century. In September 2016 the City of Memphis sold the Central Police Station for $2 million to a group interested in converting the historic building to a boutique hotel, but these plans have fallen through. However, there is still great interest in giving this historic building a new life.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8