Built in 1916 and designed by architects Walk C. Jones Sr. and Max Furbringer, this Byzantine-style synagogue features two paired towers crowned by domes, flanking a large arched window and an even larger central dome. It later served as Temple Israel’s home until the congregation relocated eastward in 1976. Currently owned by Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church, the structure has fallen into severe disrepair and is slated for demolition to make way for a new church complex—a fate often described as “demolition by neglect.” Its restoration and incorporation into the planned campus would preserve a remarkable piece of Memphis’ religious and architectural history.

