Second Congregational Church

Status: Preserved

Address: 764 Walker Avenue, Memphis

Built: 1928

Architectural Style: Local church vernacular

Original Function/Purpose: Church

The Second Congregational Church was placed on the National Register on Aug. 26, 1982.

History: Second Congregational Church has been the chapel for LeMoyne-Owen College since the late nineteenth century. The current building by Frank Nesbit and Harold E. Smith is the oldest unaltered church in Memphis designed and built by black artisans for a predominantly black congregation. The church houses a notable mural of a non-white Jesus painted by Reginald Morris, teacher at LeMoyne in the 1950s and 60s who studied mural painting in Mexico.

 

City Council District: 6

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8

DON NEWMAN