Sears, Roebuck and Company Catalog Distribution Center and Retail Store (Crosstown Concourse)

Status: Preserved

Address: 495 North Watkins Street, Memphis

Built: 1927

Architectural Style: Art Deco

Original Function/Purpose: Commerce

Crosstown Concourse was placed on the National Register on Dec. 18, 2013.

History: This was one of the first Sears stores situated in a relatively open area of the city that provided a large amount of free parking. It was the largest building in Memphis when it opened. This regional distribution center included a soda fountain, luncheonette, employee cafeteria and in-house hospital, not to mention a three-story-tall “tank room” containing a 70,000 gallon water tank for fire sprinklers. The retail store closed in 1983 and the customer credit center and catalog merchandise distribution center in 1990. The building was put up for sale, and was finally vacated when Sears stopped printing its catalog in 1993. Renovations have transformed the building into a “vertical urban village” containing residential, commercial, educational, health care and art facilities. Now known as Crosstown Concourse, the structure was honored in 2017 by The Architectural Review magazine with a nomination to a shortlist of 15 structures worldwide for its significance in adaptive use and retrofit “in a world with a growing awareness of the environmental implications of building anew” and the “re-appropriation of disused infrastructure.” The architectural firm that worked on the project, LRK (Looney Ricks Kiss architects), has declared it “the largest historic adaptive reuse LEED Building Design + Construction Platinum project in the world.” In 2018 the Memphis chapter of the American Institute of Architects presented several awards to architectural firms LRK and Archimania for their work in transforming the Sears building into Crosstown Concourse, and the building received the grand prize from the 2018 Congress for The New Urbanism.

 

City Council District: 7

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8

DON NEWMAN