Status: Demolished in 1997; delisted Nov. 9, 2007
Address: 272 North Bellevue Boulevard, Memphis
Architectural Style: Beaux Arts
History: Maury Elementary School, built in 1908, was considered an architectural twin of Bruce School, both designed in the Beaux Arts style by architect B.C. Alsup (photo above taken 1913-14). The school was vacant most of the time after 1973. In 1992 the Board of Education sold the school and grounds to Memphis Recovery Centers Inc. (MRC, a treatment for drug and alcohol dependency) for $33,000. Hopes that the building could be converted into residential units, as had been done with Lenox School, were dashed when MRC priced the property at $375,000. A contractor for MRC began to demolish the building in January 1997, selling individual bricks to former pupils. The property remains a vacant lot today.
City Council District: 7
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8