Address: 619 North Seventh Street, Memphis
Architectural Style: Victorian
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: Located in the oldest subdivision in Memphis, the Greenlaw Subdivision, the George Collins Love House was built by George C. Love as a country retreat and summer cottage on the road to Raleigh. Love moved to Memphis from Indiana in 1862 and became a successful businessman. As a political friend of E. H. “Boss” Crump, Love was hand chosen by Crump to serve as interim mayor from November 1915 to February 1916. When Love died in 1928, the home was inherited by his daughters Mary and Octavia, who lived in the house until 1976 when they donated it to the city. Additionally, five other homes were donated by the family to encourage the revitalization of the historic Greenlaw neighborhood. The Love House is currently a Non-Profit Housing Center associated with the City of Memphis Division of Housing and Community Development.
City Council District: 7
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8