Status: Demolished; delisted Nov. 9, 2007
Address: 696 Jackson Avenue, Memphis
Built: 1859, 1910, 1927
Architectural Style: Greek Revival with later modifications
History: This was built as a residence for the Edgar McDavitt family in 1859. After additions and renovations by two Canadian physicians, George Bradley Gartly and Robert F. Ramsey, the building was converted into a 50-bed private hospital in 1910. In the early 1950s it became a psychiatric hospital where, reportedly, William Faulkner sought treatment for his drinking problem. The hospital closed on January 1, 1972, but following renovations and with a new addition, the building was reopened in 1987 by the Church of God and Christ as senior citizens housing called Jackson Manor. After again standing vacant for a time, however, the building (then owned by the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church) was demolished in July 1998. The property was sold to the Salvation Army and the site now houses its administrative offices.
City Council District: 7
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8