Cornelius Lawrence Clancy House

Status: Preserved

Address: 1471 Genesis Circle (formerly 911 Kerr Avenue), Memphis

Built: 1900

Architectural Style: Queen Anne

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

The Cornelius Lawrence Clancy House was placed on the National Register on Nov. 25, 1983.

History: The Clancy House was built in 1900, named for a Memphis magistrate and prominent businessman. Clancy was aware of the need to provide additional housing for the area’s rapidly expanding industrial worker population. Inspired by the City Beautiful movement that gained popularity throughout the nation, this engineer by training sub-divided his family farm, creating building lots along a series of curvilinear streets that followed the area’s naturally rolling topography. The house is now the community office building for Alpha Renaissance Apartments at Kerr Avenue and Mississippi Boulevard with address 1471 Genesis Circle. This affordable housing complex was established by The Works, Inc., a community development corporation that was itself founded nearly 20 years ago by nearby St. Andrews A.M.E. Church. The City of Memphis is one of the partners in this development.

 

City Council District: 6

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 10

DON NEWMAN