Address: 27 South Main Street, Memphis
Architectural Style: 1920s department store architecture, Beaux Arts
Original Function/Purpose: Commerce
History: Formerly known as Lowenstein’s Department Store, the present structure, designed by Hanker and Cairns, was built in 1924 by the Lowenstein brothers on the site of the old Peabody Hotel. Founded in 1855, the brothers’ business was for decades the largest and most successful of its kind in Memphis. After Lowenstein’s went out of business in the late 1960s, the building was renamed Brinkley Plaza after elaborate renovations by new owner Joseph Larkey.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8