Address: LeMoyne-Owen College Campus, Walker Avenue, Memphis
Architectural Style: Collegiate Gothic
Original Function/Purpose: Education
History: LeMoyne Normal Institute moved to its present site on Walker Avenue in 1914. Also in that year the first building was constructed – Steele Hall, designed by Vertner W. Tandy and George W. Foster and named for former principal Andrew J. Steele. It was the only classroom building on campus for many years. LeMoyne became a junior college in 1924 and a four-year college in 1930, and LeMoyne merged with Owen Junior College in 1968. Heavy use of Steele Hall for all these years meant the building required extensive renovation; this took place in 1998-99, in compliance with National Register guidelines. A second story was added to the building during the renovation, but antique bricks were used to blend in with the original exterior. Steele Hall now serves as the Fine Arts and Humanities Center.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8