Address: 8993 Barret Road, Barretville
Architectural Style: Craftsman
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: Built for newlyweds Paul and Sarah Barret in 1920, the Barret Homestead or Squire’s Rest is a one-story craftsman cottage significant for its relation to the life of Paul Barret. He is credited with creating The Barret Company, a dealer in cotton, and expanding his father’s chain of cotton gins to six, spanning 6 different towns throughout West Tennessee, including Collierville. He also owned and operated J. H. Barret & Son General Store, founded in 1856 by his grandfather, and saw it through its 100th anniversary. His most notable business success was as a banker through his association with Barretville Bank & Trust Co., which he co-founded in 1920 and where he worked for 55 years. The Barretville Bank & Trust was one of the few banks in the area that survived the Great Depression, outlasting the Bank of Millington and Arlington Bank & Trust Co. Paul Barret was also active in Edward Hull “Boss” Crump’s political organization, and maintained a great deal of political power after Crump’s death. He “held public office continuously for over 40 years and won every elective office for which he was a candidate,” including Shelby County Board of Education chairman, Circuit Court Clerk, and Shelby County Quarterly Court Squire.
City Council District: N/A
Super District: N/A
County Commission District: 1