Status: Preserved

Address: 642 South Willett Street, Memphis

Built: 1923-1926

Architectural Style: Seventeenth Century Jacobean Country Home

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

The Robert M. Carrier House was placed on the National Register on May 27, 1980.

History: This house, also known as Carrier Hall, was begun in 1923 and completed in 1926 for lumber baron Robert M. Carrier, who wished to be closer to his lumber mills. It was designed by well-known architect Bryant Fleming and built by John Wright Johnson in the style of a seventeenth century Jacobean Country Home. Carrier spent six summers collecting authentic architectural elements from grand houses and ruined abbeys to grace his residence.

City Council District: 5

Super District: 9

County Commission District: 10