Address: 9 North Second Street and 130 Madison Avenue, Memphis
Architectural Style: Second Empire applied to a skyscraper
Original Function/Purpose: Commerce
History: This 19-story building was the tallest in Memphis for almost 20 years. The building was designed by Neander M. Woods, Jr., co-designer of the Goodwyn Building, and both buildings share many design features. The building was a joint venture of the Memphis Merchants Exchange and the Memphis Cotton Exchange, replacing the former four-story Romanesque structure of the Memphis Cotton Exchange which opened on this site in 1885. In 1995 the building was renovated into apartments.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8