Status: Preserved

Address: 166 Poplar Avenue, Memphis

Built: 1884, 1928, 1955

Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival with elements of the Aesthetic Movement

Original Function/Purpose: Church

The First Presbyterian Church was placed on the National Register on Mar. 15, 2005.

History: First Presbyterian Church was built in 1883-84 to a design by Edward Culliatt Jones, a design that refers to a church in England designed by A.W.N. Pugin. The tower was partly dismantled in 1928 when the present upper two stages were added, as was the two-story Sunday School wing. Further additions followed in 1955. In the 1990s the congregation merged with those of Emmanuel Presbyterian Church and Frayser Trinity Presbyterian Church, and the church celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2003.


City Council District: 7

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8