Historic Properties

Wilks Brooks House

Status: Preserved Address: 2000 Old Oak Drive, Memphis Built: 1835 Architectural Style: Greek Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Wilks Brooks House is the earliest example of the Greek Revival style in Memphis or Shelby County. Mr. Brooks built the house in 1835 after moving from North Carolina, having been a delegate in the 1823 North Carolina Constitutional Convention and the ...

Read More »

John Willard Brister Library

Status: Preserved Address: 3669 Alumni Avenue, University of Memphis Campus, in Memphis Built: 1927 Architectural Style: Neo-Classical Revival Original Function/Purpose: Education History: The University of Memphis (formerly Memphis State University, and earlier still a State Teachers College and Normal School) houses the Brister Library Complex, named for long-time educator John Willard Brister. An 1893 graduate of Nashville’s Peabody College, Brister was ...

Read More »

Bradford-Maydwell House

Status: Preserved Address: 648 Poplar Avenue, Memphis Built: 1859-1860 Architectural Style: Federal, Ornate Italian, Victorian, Adam Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: This house serves as a highly significant example of the synthesis of several architectural styles that have mostly disappeared from Memphis architecture at large. Built according to the Adam, Federal, and Italianate styles, the Bradford-Maydwell house documents the drastic shift of ...

Read More »

Boyce-Gregg House

Status: Preserved Address: 317 South Highland Street, Memphis Built: 1920-1921 Architectural Style: Italian-Mediterranean Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Boyce-Gregg House designed by Jones and Furbringer was built in 1920 by C.R. Boyce, a successful cotton broker. Later, the house was owned by Russell C. Gregg, manager of Anderson-Clayton Company, which at the time was one of the biggest cotton companies in ...

Read More »

Pauline Cheek Barton House

Status: Preserved Address: 6562 Green Shadows Lane, Memphis Built: 1938 Architectural Style: Colonial Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Pauline Cheek Barton House was designed by prominent Memphis architect Walk Claridge Jones, Sr. The house was constructed for Mrs. Pauline Cheek Barton and her son Wilson Perry Barton. Wilson Barton married in 1939 and the home remained in the Barton family ...

Read More »

Bank of Commerce and Trust Company Building

Status: Preserved Address: 45 South Second Street, Memphis Built: 1929 Architectural Style: Neo-Classical Style Original Function/Purpose: Bank History: The original Bank of Commerce and Trust Company Building of 1929 was designed by Hanker and Cairns, while the attached (but not nominated) office tower and parking garage were designed by Roy Harrover and opened in 1973. The original building has been acclaimed ...

Read More »

John Alexander Austin House

Status: Preserved Address: 290 South Front Street, Memphis Built: 1876 Architectural Style: Italianate Victorian Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Before the South Bluffs Warehouse Historic District transformed into warehouse use, it was an elegant residential community. With completion of the Frisco Bridge in 1892, demand for rail-related facilities between the bridge and downtown resulted in the near complete transformation of this area. ...

Read More »

Ashlar Hall

Status: Preserved; renovation in progress Address: 1397 Central Avenue, Memphis Built: 1896 Architectural Style: Victorian Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Robert Brinkley Snowden, a prominent Memphis real estate developer, designed this midtown mansion in 1896. Snowden lived in the home until his death in 1942; the property was sold after the death of his wife in 1957. The mansion’s name derives from ...

Read More »

Annesdale

Status: Preserved Address: 1325 Lamar Avenue, Memphis Built: 1855; ca. 1900 Architectural Style: Italian Villa Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: This estate was built in about 1855 for Dr. Samuel Mansfield, a druggist. Robert C. Brinkley, originator of the Peabody Hotel, bought it in 1868 or 1869 as a wedding gift for his daughter Annie Overton Brinkley and her husband, Col. Robert ...

Read More »

Anderson-Coward House (Justine’s Restaurant)

Status: Preserved Address: 919 Coward Place, Memphis Built: ca. 1852 Architectural Style: Italianate Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Anderson-Coward House was built by Nathaniel Anderson, a cotton broker and banker in ca. 1852. After he retired (in about 1856), he sold the property to H.M. Grosvenor, who, in order to finance his business, mortgaged the house to Samuel Coward. Grosvenor lost the house ...

Read More »