Historic Properties

Martin Memorial Temple C.M.E. Church

Status: Preserved Address: 65 South Parkway West, Memphis Built: 1926-1927 Architectural Style: Neoclassical Original Function/Purpose: Church History: The history of this church can be traced back to 1911 when a congregation of only 20 members worked with Rev. Samuel Adams to erect a small wooden building at 1312 Kennedy Street, in honor of Rev. and Mrs. Willis Martin. Rev. Martin was ...

Read More »

Magevney House

Status: Preserved Address: 198 Adams Avenue, Memphis Built: ca. 1836 Architectural Style: Modest, middle class structure of the early Nineteenth Century Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: This is the oldest home still standing in Memphis. When Irish immigrant Eugene Magevney purchased the lot in 1838, the existing structure had four rooms and a downstairs hall, probably erected by John M. Manning in ...

Read More »

B. Lowenstein & Brothers Building (Brinkley Plaza)

Status: Preserved Address: 27 South Main Street, Memphis Built: 1924 Architectural Style: 1920s department store architecture, Beaux Arts Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: Formerly known as Lowenstein’s Department Store, the present structure, designed by Hanker and Cairns, was built in 1924 by the Lowenstein brothers on the site of the old Peabody Hotel. Founded in 1855, the brothers’ business was for decades ...

Read More »

Abraham Lowenstein House

Status: Preserved Address: 1094 Poplar Avenue (formerly 217 North Waldran Boulevard), Memphis Built: 1901 Architectural Style: Queen Anne Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The house was originally built for Abraham L. Lowenstein, one of four brothers who founded the Lowenstein department store chain in Memphis. The house changed owners in 1923 when it was purchased by the Beethoven Club, the oldest organization ...

Read More »

Lowenstein House

Status: Preserved Address: 756 Jefferson Avenue, Memphis Built: 1890-1891 Architectural Style: Italianate and Romanesque Revival blend Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Elias Lowenstein came to Memphis in 1869 to join his brothers in the dry-goods business. The brothers had earlier opened what would become one of the city’s leading department stores. Elias took control of the business after finding his brother dead, ...

Read More »

George Collins Love House

Status: Preserved Address: 619 North Seventh Street, Memphis Built: 1889 Architectural Style: Victorian Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Located in the oldest subdivision in Memphis, the Greenlaw Subdivision, the George Collins Love House was built by George C. Love as a country retreat and summer cottage on the road to Raleigh. Love moved to Memphis from Indiana in 1862 and became a ...

Read More »

Lenox School

Status: Preserved Address: 519 South Edgewood Avenue, Memphis Built: 1909 Architectural Style: Beaux-Arts Classical Revival Original Function/Purpose: Education History: Lenox School was designed by John Gaisford, designer of many private residences in Memphis as well as many churches in the region. When the school was built, Lenox was an incorporated town bounded by the area from Madison and Barksdale to Central ...

Read More »

LeMoyne Gardens Public Housing Project

Status: Demolished in 1997 and will eventually be delisted Location: Bounded by Walker and Provine Avenues, and Porter and Neptune Streets, in Memphis Built: 1941 and 1943 Architectural Style: Multi-family Colonial Revival and Minimal Traditional Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: This South Memphis public housing project near LeMoyne-Owen College opened the first 60 of its structures in October 1941, followed in 1943 ...

Read More »

Lt. George W. Lee House

Status: Preserved Address: 563 Stephens Place, Memphis Built: 1911 Architectural Style: Bungalow influence Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Lee was known on the streets of early twentieth century Memphis as “Lieutenant Lee,” both for his army service as a lieutenant in World War I and as the lieutenant for the powerful African-American capitalist and Republican Party leader Robert Church, Sr. In Memphis ...

Read More »

James Lee House

Status: Preserved Address: 239 Adams Avenue, Memphis Built: 1869-70 Architectural Style: Italianate Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The James Lee House (sometimes called the First James Lee House and not to be confused with the (second) Lee House of 690 Adams) was designed for James Lee, Jr. by architect Joseph Willis, who came to Memphis from Philadelphia. It is said to be ...

Read More »