Status: Demolished in 2000; delisted Nov. 9, 2007
Address: 1372 Latham Street, Memphis
Built: 1909; additions in 1922-23, 1930, 1963 and 1970
Architectural Style: Jacobean Revival
History: The school, designed by Jones and Furbringer, was an excellent local example of the Jacobean Revival style (photo above taken 1910-11). In October 1926 a reporter wrote that this school was the most crowded in the city. “Two brick buildings connected by hallways on the upper two floors and by the lunchroom in the basement, make up the school.” It was heavily damaged by an arson fire in April 1974. The school was closed in 1999 and demolition began in March 2000. In order to preserve the historic integrity of the school, specific materials were salvaged and incorporated into the new building, including bricks, ornate limestone moldings and the school cornerstone. Its former students were transferred to the old and empty Florida Elementary School building (then still standing because the school board could not afford to demolish it) until the new school was ready. The new building has the address 345 East Olive Avenue, around the corner from the original school.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8