Author Archives: MHI2016

Southwestern at Memphis Sorority Row Historic District (Rhodes College Sorority Row)

Status: Preserved Address: 2000 North Parkway (Rhodes College Campus), Memphis Built: ca. 1920s-1930s Architectural Style: Collegiate Gothic Original Function/Purpose: Education History: The architectural style of Southwestern at Memphis Sorority Row Historic District, and the other campus buildings, was specified by college president Charles E. Diehl. He included proposed fraternity and sorority lodges, which were to be of Arkansas sandstone and ...

Read More »

Southwestern at Memphis Historic District (Rhodes College)

Status: Preserved Address: 2000 North Parkway (Rhodes College Campus), Memphis Built: 1925 Architectural Style: Late Gothic Revival (Collegiate Gothic), Tudor Gothic Original Function/Purpose: Education History: Southwestern at Memphis Historic District (Rhodes College) is represented by a harmonious group of Collegiate Gothic buildings whose construction began in 1925 and which are now surrounded by trees planted at the same time. Its ...

Read More »

Southern Railway Industrial Historic District

Status: Endangered Location: Roughly bounded by Beale Street and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue (formerly part of Linden Avenue), and South Orleans and Myrtle Streets, including Jessamine Avenue and a stretch of disused Southern Railway tracks, in Memphis Built: 1891-1956 Architectural Style: Colonial Revival, Neo-Classical Original Function/Purpose: Commercial History: The Southern Railway Industrial Historic District is a collection of ...

Read More »

South Parkway-Heiskell Farm Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: 1139-1271 East Parkway South and 2140-2225 South Parkway East, bounded by Lamar Avenue to the west and the Southern Railroad tracks to the north, in Memphis Built: 1910 Architectural Style: Georgian Revival, Beaux Arts, Tudor Revival, etc. Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: South Parkway-Heiskell Farm Historic District is a self-contained three-block segment of the Memphis Parkway System, located ...

Read More »

South Main Street Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: Roughly bounded by South Main and Mulberry Streets, and Webster and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenues (the latter formerly part of Linden Avenue), in Memphis Built: 1900-1930 Architectural Style: Largely Commercial vernacular Original Function/Purpose: Commercial History: This district in the nineteenth century was a muddy residential street linking Victorian homes to the downtown district via trolley. ...

Read More »

South Bluffs Warehouse Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: An irregular pattern along South Front Street, Wagner Place and Tennessee Street, from Beale Street to G.E. Patterson Avenue (formerly Calhoun Avenue), in Memphis Built: 1870s-1950 Architectural Style: Neo-Classical Revival, Egyptian Revival, Romanesque Revival, etc. Original Function/Purpose: Commercial History: The South Bluffs Warehouse Historic District is a collection of late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century warehouses or industrial buildings, ...

Read More »

Shrine Building

Status: Preserved Address: 66 Monroe Avenue, Memphis Built: Completed 1923 Architectural Style: Early Twentieth Century Modern Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: This property was designed by Hanker and Cairns, with Jones & Furbringer, to serve as a Shrine Temple as well as a commercial building. It would have stores on the first level and rental office space on upper floors, with Shrine ...

Read More »

Shadowlawn Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: Roughly bounded by Shadowlawn Boulevard, Wellington Street, South Parkway East, and Essex Avenue, in Memphis Built: 1924-ca. 1945 Architectural Style: Various: Bungalow, Craftsman, Colonial Revival, Minimal Traditional Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Shadowlawn Historic District is a William C. Chandler-planned residential subdivision in southwest Memphis, developed between 1924 and World War II. Of the contributing properties in the ...

Read More »

Second Congregational Church

Status: Preserved Address: 764 Walker Avenue, Memphis Built: 1928 Architectural Style: Local church vernacular Original Function/Purpose: Church History: Second Congregational Church has been the chapel for LeMoyne-Owen College since the late nineteenth century. The current building by Frank Nesbit and Harold E. Smith is the oldest unaltered church in Memphis designed and built by black artisans for a predominantly black congregation. ...

Read More »

Sears, Roebuck and Company Catalog Distribution Center and Retail Store (Crosstown Concourse)

Status: Preserved Address: 495 North Watkins Street, Memphis Built: 1927 Architectural Style: Art Deco Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: This was one of the first Sears stores situated in a relatively open area of the city that provided a large amount of free parking. It was the largest building in Memphis when it opened. This regional distribution center included a soda fountain, ...

Read More »