Author Archives: MHI2016

Porter-Leath Home

Status: Preserved Address: 850 North Manassas Street, Memphis Built: 1856-1927 Architectural Style: Italianate (Italian Villa) Original Function/Purpose: Orphanage History: This was Memphis’s first orphanage. The Protestant Widows’ and Orphans’ Asylum was chartered in 1850, and following donation of land by Sarah Leath, the first building of the home was completed in 1856. The institution was named for her, the Leath Orphan ...

Read More »

Pinch-North Main Commercial District

Status: Endangered Location: Bounded by Commerce and Jackson Avenues on the south, Front Street on the west, North Second and Main Streets on the east, and A.W. Willis Avenue (formerly Auction Avenue) on the north, in Memphis Built: Late 1800s to early 1900s Architectural Style: Eclectic commercial Original Function/Purpose: Commercial History: Pinch-North Main Commercial District once held much of the ...

Read More »

Picardy Place Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: 157-205 South Fenwick Road and 160-201 Picardy Street (formerly Picardy Place), Memphis Built: 1939-53 Architectural Style: Minimal Traditional Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The district is important to the architectural history of the city as an excellent example of post-World War II residential development. The houses are designed in a Minimal Traditional form with Colonial Revival details. This ...

Read More »

Peabody Hotel

Status: Preserved Address: 149 Union Avenue, Memphis Built: 1925 Architectural Style: Italian Renaissance Revival Original Function/Purpose: Hotel History: After a 1923 fire at its original location at Main and Monroe, the Peabody Hotel moved to this site and into its new building in 1925. It was designed by the firm of Walter W. Ahlschlager Inc. The tradition of Peabody ducks in ...

Read More »

Peabody Elementary School

Status: Preserved Address: 2086 Young Avenue, Memphis Built: ca. 1910-1912 Architectural Style: Beaux Arts Original Function/Purpose: Education History: Peabody Elementary School was designed by the firm of Jones and Furbringer, one of eight public schools they were responsible for between 1902 and 1915. This one is said to have been built in 1908, but it appears to have been put to ...

Read More »

Patton-Bejach House (Four Flames Restaurant)

Status: Preserved Address: 1085 Poplar Avenue, Memphis Built: 1877 Architectural Style: Victorian Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Oral history has it that the Patton-Bejach house was constructed in 1833, but some existing records indicate the building was built in 1877 and renovated in 1884 after a fire. The property was purchased in 1900 by Russian merchant Samuel Bejach who after fifteen years ...

Read More »

Paisley Hall (Galloway House)

Status: Preserved Address: 1822 Overton Park Avenue, Memphis Built: 1908-1910 Architectural Style: Greek Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: This home was built by businessman Robert Galloway who named it Paisley Hall for the town in Scotland where his father was born. Galloway was highly instrumental in establishing the Memphis Zoo and chaired the Memphis Park Commission through 17 of its early ...

Read More »

Overton Parkway Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: Roughly bounded by Poplar Avenue / East Parkway North / Cooper Street / Madison Avenue, in Memphis Built: ca. 1905-ca. 1949 Architectural Style: Various: Tudor Revival, Craftsman, Queen Anne, including duplexes and apartment buildings Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Overton Parkway Historic District displays superb examples of fine high-style architect-designed eclectic residences of the early twentieth century. It ...

Read More »

Overton Park Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: Overton Park, Memphis Built: 1901 Architectural Style: Park Original Function/Purpose: Park The Overton Park Historic District was placed on the National Register on Oct. 25, 1979. History: Overton Park was designed by landscape architect George Kessler in 1901-02 and named for John Overton. The 342-acre district includes the Memphis Zoo (established 1906, top photo), the Memphis Brooks Museum ...

Read More »

Orpheum Theatre

Status: Preserved Address: 197 South Main Street, Memphis Built: 1927-28 Architectural Style: Italian Renaissance Original Function/Purpose: Entertainment History: At the time the finest and most elegant theater outside of New York City, Memphis’s Grand Opera House was purchased by the Orpheum Theater Vaudeville Circuit in 1907 but subsequently burned to the ground in 1923. At nearly twice the size of the ...

Read More »