Author Archives: MHI2016

Rozelle Elementary School

Status: Preserved Address: 993 Roland Street, Memphis Built: 1914, ca. 1925 and 1930 Architectural Style: Jacobean Revival Original Function/Purpose: Education History: This school is one of few examples of seventeenth century Jacobean style architecture in Memphis. The 1914 school was designed by architects Walk C. Jones Sr. and Max Furbringer; additions followed in ca. 1925 and ca. 1930. One of the ...

Read More »

Dr. Christopher M. Roulhac House

Status: Preserved Address: 810 McLemore Avenue, Memphis Built: 1914 Architectural Style: Vernacular American Four Square and Colonial Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Dr. Christopher M. Roulhac received his medical degree from Howard University Medical School in 1910 and arrived in Memphis in 1913 with his wife Isabelle. His early medical offices were on Beale Street, and he was surgeon at Mercy ...

Read More »

Rosemark Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: 8501-8760 East Kerrville-Rosemark Road, and 8519-8727 and 8736 Rosemark Road, Rosemark Built: ca. 1890 to 1963 Architectural Style: Predominantly Bungalows and Minimal Traditional Cottages for dwellings Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Rosemark is an intact representative example of a rural agricultural district in West Tennessee. Known as Richland through the Civil War era, it changed its name to ...

Read More »

Rock of Ages Christian Methodist Episcopal Church

Status: Preserved Address: 478 Scott Street, Memphis Built: 1955 Architectural Style: Neoclassical Original Function/Purpose: Church History: The present church sanctuary was constructed in 1955, above and around the site of an older edifice. The older building dated from before 1927, serving a congregation of the “Colored Methodist Episcopal Church” in the segregated neighborhood of Binghamton. Construction of the new building was ...

Read More »

Newton Copeland Richards House

Status: Destroyed by fire and will eventually be delisted. Address: 975 Peabody Avenue, Memphis Built: 1889-1890 Architectural Style: Queen Anne and Eastlake Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: In 1890, cotton merchant Newton Copeland Richards moved into his stately new Queen Anne-style home with its rounded porch and circular balcony latticework; the architect may have been Robert Brinkley Snowden. The owner came from ...

Read More »

Eli Rayner House

Status: Preserved Address: 1020 Rayner Street, Memphis Built: 1856 Architectural Style: Greek Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: In 1856, Eli Rayner, a scientific farmer, moved his family to a large plot of prime cotton land along the route of the yet-unfinished Memphis and Charleston Railroad, and built this house near what would become Southern Avenue. One of very few Antebellum period ...

Read More »

Elvis Presley House

Status: Preserved Address: 1034 Audubon Drive, Memphis Built: ca. 1954 Architectural Style: Ranch Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Elvis Presley House was still new when the entertainer purchased it for his family in 1956 only weeks after he had recorded “Heartbreak Hotel.” He was able to enjoy it for 13 months before privacy and security issues led him to the more ...

Read More »

Dr. D.T. Porter Building (Continental National Bank Building)

Status: Preserved Address: 10 North Main Street, Memphis Built: Completed in 1895 Architectural Style: Eclectic, with elements of both Northern Italian Renaissance and Richardsonian Romanesque Original Function/Purpose: Bank History: The ten-story Continental National Bank was the city’s first skyscraper and (at the time) the tallest building in the world to have a circulating hot water heating system. When it was built, ...

Read More »

Porter-Leath Home

Status: Preserved Address: 850 North Manassas Street, Memphis Built: 1856-1927 Architectural Style: Italianate (Italian Villa) Original Function/Purpose: Orphanage History: This was Memphis’s first orphanage. The Protestant Widows’ and Orphans’ Asylum was chartered in 1850, and following donation of land by Sarah Leath, the first building of the home was completed in 1856. The institution was named for her, the Leath Orphan ...

Read More »

Pinch-North Main Commercial District

Status: Endangered Location: Bounded by Commerce and Jackson Avenues on the south, Front Street on the west, North Second and Main Streets on the east, and A.W. Willis Avenue (formerly Auction Avenue) on the north, in Memphis Built: Late 1800s to early 1900s Architectural Style: Eclectic commercial Original Function/Purpose: Commercial History: Pinch-North Main Commercial District once held much of the ...

Read More »