Monthly Archives: April 2018

Joseph A. Campbell House

Status: Preserved Address: 215 South Center Street (formerly 215 South Street), Collierville Built: ca. 1876, 1898-1899 Architectural Style: Queen Anne Cottage Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The J.A. Campbell House is an example of Queen Anne Cottage form of residence built ca. 1898-99 for J. A. Campbell, a prominent minister in the Disciples of Christ. However, the central hall plan here may ...

Read More »

Calvary Episcopal Church & Parish House

Status: Preserved Address: 102 North Second Street, Memphis Built: 1843, 1848, 1881 Architectural Style: Gothic Original Function/Purpose: Church History: Calvary Episcopal is the oldest church building in Memphis; its congregation was organized in 1832. It and St. Peter’s Catholic Church are the city’s only two remaining pre-Civil War churches. A striking example of Gothic architecture, the building is also one of ...

Read More »

Wilks Brooks House

Status: Preserved Address: 2000 Old Oak Drive, Memphis Built: 1835 Architectural Style: Greek Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Wilks Brooks House is the earliest example of the Greek Revival style in Memphis or Shelby County. Mr. Brooks built the house in 1835 after moving from North Carolina, having been a delegate in the 1823 North Carolina Constitutional Convention and the ...

Read More »

John Willard Brister Library

Status: Preserved Address: 3669 Alumni Avenue, University of Memphis Campus, in Memphis Built: 1927 Architectural Style: Neo-Classical Revival Original Function/Purpose: Education History: The University of Memphis (formerly Memphis State University, and earlier still a State Teachers College and Normal School) houses the Brister Library Complex, named for long-time educator John Willard Brister. An 1893 graduate of Nashville’s Peabody College, Brister was ...

Read More »

Bradford-Maydwell House

Status: Preserved Address: 648 Poplar Avenue, Memphis Built: 1859-1860 Architectural Style: Federal, Ornate Italian, Victorian, Adam Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: This house serves as a highly significant example of the synthesis of several architectural styles that have mostly disappeared from Memphis architecture at large. Built according to the Adam, Federal, and Italianate styles, the Bradford-Maydwell house documents the drastic shift of ...

Read More »

Boyce-Gregg House

Status: Preserved Address: 317 South Highland Street, Memphis Built: 1920-1921 Architectural Style: Italian-Mediterranean Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Boyce-Gregg House designed by Jones and Furbringer was built in 1920 by C.R. Boyce, a successful cotton broker. Later, the house was owned by Russell C. Gregg, manager of Anderson-Clayton Company, which at the time was one of the biggest cotton companies in ...

Read More »

Beale Street Historic District

Status: Preserved Location: Beale Street between Second and Fourth Streets, Memphis Built: 1870-1920 Architectural Style: Various Original Function/Purpose: Commercial History: In the early 1900s, Beale Street was the thoroughfare that divided South Memphis from Memphis. A diverse mix of black-owned businesses developed, and by the 1920s Beale Street had reached a level of high prominence. Beale Street flourished musically and ...

Read More »

Pauline Cheek Barton House

Status: Preserved Address: 6562 Green Shadows Lane, Memphis Built: 1938 Architectural Style: Colonial Revival Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Pauline Cheek Barton House was designed by prominent Memphis architect Walk Claridge Jones, Sr. The house was constructed for Mrs. Pauline Cheek Barton and her son Wilson Perry Barton. Wilson Barton married in 1939 and the home remained in the Barton family ...

Read More »

Bank of Commerce and Trust Company Building

Status: Preserved Address: 45 South Second Street, Memphis Built: 1929 Architectural Style: Neo-Classical Style Original Function/Purpose: Bank History: The original Bank of Commerce and Trust Company Building of 1929 was designed by Hanker and Cairns, while the attached (but not nominated) office tower and parking garage were designed by Roy Harrover and opened in 1973. The original building has been acclaimed ...

Read More »

John Alexander Austin House

Status: Preserved Address: 290 South Front Street, Memphis Built: 1876 Architectural Style: Italianate Victorian Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Before the South Bluffs Warehouse Historic District transformed into warehouse use, it was an elegant residential community. With completion of the Frisco Bridge in 1892, demand for rail-related facilities between the bridge and downtown resulted in the near complete transformation of this area. ...

Read More »