Monthly Archives: April 2018

Mt. Airy

Status: Preserved Address: 10700 Latting Road, Cordova (Memphis) Built: ca. 1835, 1920s and 1950s additions Architectural Style: I-House with Classical Revival detailing Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: Mt. Airy was built in 1835 by Thomas C. Crenshaw as part of a 1,379-acre plantation, and although only 19 acres remain, it is still one of the oldest standing log-constructed homes in Shelby County. ...

Read More »

Mosby-Bennett House (Hunter Lane House)

Status: Preserved Address: 6256 Poplar Avenue, Memphis Built: 1852 Architectural Style: Greek Revival with Victorian elements Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: The Mosby-Bennett House is a representation of architecture prominent in rural areas surrounding Memphis in the mid- and late-1800s. The house interior also denotes its significance as the headquarters of a large plantation. The house boasts at least one porch at ...

Read More »

William R. Moore Dry Goods Building

Status: Preserved Address: 183 Monroe Avenue (now Toyota Plaza on South B.B. King Boulevard, formerly South Third Street), Memphis Built: 1913 Architectural Style: Commercial Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: Mr. Moore was born in Huntsville, Alabama in 1830. Upon the death of his parents, Moore left school to work as a farm hand for $24 a year with room and board. After ...

Read More »

Mid-South Coliseum

Status: Preserved Address: 996 Early Maxwell Boulevard, Mid-South Fairgrounds, in Memphis Built: 1964 Architectural Style: Modern Original Function/Purpose: Entertainment History: Opened in 1964, this building has been called “The Entertainment Capitol of the Mid-South” and certainly lived up to that name. Both the Beatles and Elvis performed in this building, which seats around 10,000 people. Home to many sports venues and ...

Read More »

Memphis Trust Building (Commerce Title Building)

Status: Preserved Address: 12 South Main Street, Memphis Built: 1904, 1914 Architectural Style: Neoclassical Original Function/Purpose: Bank History: The southern half of this structure was built by the Bank of Commerce and Trust in 1904; an unusual aspect was early use of steel framing for a fifteen-story building. It was originally known as the Memphis Trust Building. Ten years later in ...

Read More »

Memphis Queen II Floating Vessel

Status: Renovation is planned. Location: Cobblestone Landing, foot of Monroe Avenue at Riverside Drive, Memphis (future location following renovation) Built: 1955 Architectural Style: Diesel floating vessel, tourism Original Function/Purpose: Transportation History: The Memphis Queen II is a steel-body river vessel with two diesel engines built by the Dubuque Boat and Boiler Works, the prototype of a series of vessels that are ...

Read More »

Memphis Pink Palace Museum (Clarence Saunders House)

Status: Preserved Address: 3050 Central Avenue, Memphis Built: 1922 Architectural Style: Romanesque American Original Function/Purpose: Residential History: One of Memphis’s most unique museums was originally built as a residence for Clarence Saunders, founder of Piggly Wiggly, the first self service grocery store chain. The building’s architect Hubert T. McGee referred to its style as “Romanesque American Rambling Design.” The house was ...

Read More »

Memphis Parkway System

Status: Preserved Location: South Parkway West and East, East Parkway South and North, and North Parkway, in Memphis Built: ca. 1902-1914 Architectural Style: N/A History: The Memphis Parkway System is about twelve miles long, and varies from 100 to 250 feet wide. It extends to the east from Riverside Park south of downtown to a point several blocks south of ...

Read More »

Memphis National Cemetery

Status: Preserved Address: 3568 Townes Avenue, Memphis Built: 1867-1934 Architectural Style: Cemetery Original Function/Purpose: Cemetery History: Memphis National Cemetery was established in 1867. When Memphis fell under Union control early in the Civil War, the city became a convenient location to care for wounded soldiers. Thousands of Northern troops who died were interred in or near the city, but after the ...

Read More »

Memphis Merchants Exchange (Exchange Building)

Status: Preserved Address: 9 North Second Street and 130 Madison Avenue, Memphis Built: 1910 Architectural Style: Second Empire applied to a skyscraper Original Function/Purpose: Commerce History: This 19-story building was the tallest in Memphis for almost 20 years. The building was designed by Neander M. Woods, Jr., co-designer of the Goodwyn Building, and both buildings share many design features. The building ...

Read More »