Address: 183 Monroe Avenue (now Toyota Plaza on South B.B. King Boulevard, formerly South Third Street), Memphis
Architectural Style: Commercial
Original Function/Purpose: Commerce
History: Mr. Moore was born in Huntsville, Alabama in 1830. Upon the death of his parents, Moore left school to work as a farm hand for $24 a year with room and board. After saving $12, Moore became a sales clerk in Nashville and later in New York City. Eventually Moore opened his own dry goods store in Memphis and in 1913 the business moved into this new eight-story building designed by Shaw and Pfeil and built by the Hein Realty Company. The store was sold in 1980 and for nearly two decades it was abandoned. Beginning in 1998, a restoration project was undertaken by new owner Parkway Properties with the help of LRK Architects and renovation / engineering consultants Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates. Also involved were the National Park Service and local and state preservation experts. The building is now part of Toyota Center beside AutoZone Ballpark.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8