Status: Renovation is planned
Address: 241-245 South Front Street, Memphis
Architectural Style: Industrial vernacular (example of Foundry Complex)
Original Function/Purpose: Manufacturing
History: The William C. Ellis and Sons Ironworks and Machine Shop was one of the earliest, longest-running businesses in Memphis. The lot on which the foundry was built was purchased by W.C. Ellis in 1878. The original blacksmith shop once made wrought-iron straps for carriages and shoes for horses and mules. Although altered over time, the original shop still remains, as do the foundry and pattern house (both 1890), as well as the machine shops (1922-1925). The latter were historically used for the repair and building of agricultural machines, especially cotton compresses and railroad equipment such as brake shoes, switch parts and pump housing, but grew to include manufacturing for the river trade as well. In December 2016 the property was purchased by the Carlisle Corporation, which proposes incorporating these structures into its plans for a new Hyatt hotel, part of its One Beale project.
City Council District: 6
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8