Location: Roughly bounded by Watkins Street on the west, University Avenue on the east, and Vollintine and Faxon Avenues on the north and south, including properties on short streets between Jackson and Vollintine Avenues north of the Rhodes College campus, in Memphis
Built: Primarily early 1920s to late 1930s
Architectural Style: Bungalow / Craftsman, Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional
Original Function/Purpose: Residential
History: This historic district contains sixty-seven blocks of 3,218 contributing resources (almost entirely dwellings) and eleven 1930s WPA projects. (The latter consist of the Lick Creek channelization and ten bridge overpasses.) Some cottages date from ca. 1905, but most are from later decades. The district “contains the largest cohesive collection of eclectic style houses in Memphis. . . . The low number of non-contributing resources, historic outbuildings, and residential setting give the Vollintine Evergreen Historic District a high degree of integrity.” In the early twentieth century, the heirs of John Overton began disposing of their large land holdings in this area, and real estate developers took notice. The construction of the Memphis Parkway System in this area helped fuel the housing boom that followed.
City Council Districts: 5 and 7 (About equally divided.)
Super Districts: 7 and 9 (About equally divided.)
County Commission District: 7