Toof Building

Status: Preserved

Address: 195 Madison Avenue, Memphis

Built: 1912, 1926, 1929, 1947

Architectural Style: Egyptian Revival / Terra Cotta

Original Function/Purpose: Manufacturing

The Toof Building was placed on the National Register on Aug. 26, 1982.

History: The Toof Building was built in 1912. The original building was four stories in height and had a full basement. A fifth floor was added in 1926. The mezzanine or intermediate floor was added in 1929 and further expanded in 1947. The Toof is the earliest known example of the Egyptian motif in Memphis. For most of the building’s life, it served as a manufacturing, warehousing, and office center for the S.C. Toof Company. It has been converted into a collection of apartments called Pressbox Lofts.

 

City Council District: 6

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8

DON NEWMAN