Third Addition to Jackson Terrace Historic District

Status: Endangered

Location: Along Hardin, Henry and Crump Avenues, and Atlantic Street, in an area bounded by Holmes and Hudson Streets, and Lamphier and Jackson Avenues, in Memphis

Built: 1948

Architectural Style: One-story frame minimalist Colonial Revival cottages in four basic plans

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

The Third Addition to Jackson Terrace Historic District was placed on the National Register on Nov. 21, 2001.

History: The Third Addition to Jackson Terrace Historic District was nominated to the National Register “for its associations with the post World War II housing boom . . . The entrepreneurial spirit of the Margolin Brothers [builders Ben, Sam and Joe] exemplifies the expectations Americans held for an expansive post-war economy.” The first two phases of Jackson Terrace were developed as duplexes, but the remaining undeveloped property was sold to the Margolin brothers who developed it with rental duplexes. There has been deterioration over the years, but many homes were saved from demolition and were renovated beginning in 2002 after the district received National Register listing.

 

Map:

Outline of the Third Addition to Jackson Terrace Historic District.

Map of the district used in its National Register nomination.

 

City Council District: 5

Super District: 9

County Commission District: 7

DON NEWMAN