Tennessee Brewery

Status: Preserved

Address: 495 Tennessee Street (formerly 477 Tennessee Street), Memphis

Built: 1890

Architectural Style: Industrial

Original Function/Purpose: Manufacturing

The Tennessee Brewery was placed on the National Register on Nov. 25, 1980.

History: Built in 1890, the Tennessee Brewery was initially organized as the “Memphis Brewing Company.” At one point the largest brewery in the South, the company had around 1,500 workers and produced 250,000 barrels per year before Prohibition shut down production. After it reopened in 1938, the brewery expanded its facilities and produced a beer known as “Goldcrest.” Following an increase in production costs and competition from national brands, the brewery closed its doors yet again in 1954. This landmark building was purchased by Billy Orgel in 2014 for renovation into 46 apartments and 13,500 square feet of commercial and office space. This would be only one part of an eventual $42 million mixed-use development that would include the new construction of three adjacent buildings that also contain apartments, along with retail and garage space.

City Council District: 6

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8

DON NEWMAN