Address: 155 Market Street, Memphis
Architectural Style: Gothic Revival
Original Function/Purpose: Church
History: St. Mary’s organized in 1862 to serve German Catholics who felt uncomfortable at the Irish-oriented St. Peter’s. The cornerstone was laid with help from the Union army during the Civil War. The altar was carved from wood shipped from Germany and the pews and choir loft were hand carved by itinerant Franciscan monks. The church was designed by James B. Cook, who had worked with Sir Charles Barry in England.
City Council District: 7
Super District: 8
County Commission District: 8