South Bluffs Warehouse Historic District

Status: Preserved

Location: An irregular pattern along South Front Street, Wagner Place and Tennessee Street, from Beale Street to G.E. Patterson Avenue (formerly Calhoun Avenue), in Memphis

Built: 1870s-1950

Architectural Style: Neo-Classical Revival, Egyptian Revival, Romanesque Revival, etc.

Original Function/Purpose: Commercial

The South Bluffs Warehouse Historic District was placed on the National Register on June 4, 1987.

History: The South Bluffs Warehouse Historic District is a collection of late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century warehouses or industrial buildings, many of them utilitarian structures with little architectural embellishment. There are exceptions, however, such as the National Register-listed Tennessee Brewery (Romanesque Revival), as well as Ballard and Ballard Company Obelisk Flour building (Egyptian Revival) and the original Piggly Wiggly headquarters building (Neo-Classical). Nearly two-thirds of the buildings were constructed during the 1900s to 1930s period, and about a third during the 1920s. Many other structures and elements are important additions to the character of the district and its high degree of integrity: the narrow streets, short blocks and wide sidewalks, two unaltered railroad viaducts, etc.

 

Map:

Outline of the South Bluffs Warehouse Historic District.

Map of the district used in its National Register nomination.

 

City Council District: 6

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8

DON NEWMAN