Shadowlawn Historic District

Status: Preserved

Location: Roughly bounded by Shadowlawn Boulevard, Wellington Street, South Parkway East, and Essex Avenue, in Memphis

Built: 1924-ca. 1945

Architectural Style: Various: Bungalow, Craftsman, Colonial Revival, Minimal Traditional

Original Function/Purpose: Residential

The Shadowlawn Historic District was placed on the National Register on Aug. 14, 1995.

History: Shadowlawn Historic District is a William C. Chandler-planned residential subdivision in southwest Memphis, developed between 1924 and World War II. Of the contributing properties in the district, 134 are residences. “It is a rare local example of an integral planned subdivision” in which the company acted as both developer and builder for the intended middle-class homeowner. Of the total properties, 102 had been built by 1932, but the Depression slowed completion of the development.

 

Map:

Outline of the Shadowlawn Historic District.

Map of the district used in its National Register nomination.

 

City Council District: 6

Super District: 8

County Commission District: 8

DON NEWMAN